Colby Pepper Jack Patty Melt
This is a spin on my ooey-gooey Colby Pepper Jack grilled cheese I make with my Creamy Parmesan Tomato Soup (see previous recipes). Burger meets grilled cheese.
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 slices of Texas toast
- 4-8 slices Colby Pepper Jack cheese
- Cooking spray (Pam)
- The Sauce: In a small bowl, mix paprika, ketchup, mayo, and ¼ tsp garlic powder together. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add brown sugar and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions caramelize. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry bacon. After cooked, place on paper towel to discard excess grease.
- The Patties: In a medium bowl, combine beef (or turkey), Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder in a bowl. Mix together until meat is completely seasoned. Divide seasoned meat into four patties. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with cooking oil. When hot, at patties (2 at a time) and cook 5 minutes on each side or until brown and cooked completely. Remove from pan and place on paper towel to discard any excess grease. Set aside to rest. Repeat with remaining two patties.
- Clean pan return to heat (medium). Spray the pan with cooking oil.
- To Assemble: Spread the sauce mixture on one side of the toast. Place opposite side face down in pan. Top the toast (sauce side up) with one slice of cheese, caramelized onions, one patty, two strips of bacon, and another slice of cheese. Spread the sauce mixture on one side of another toast and add to top of patty melt.
- With a spatula, carefully flip the patty melt and press flat. Cook for 3-5 minutes ensuring the toast is golden brown on each side and cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and serve while hot. Enjoy.