Creamy Parmesan Tomato Soup
I am a sucker for a good soup. My two favorite soups of all time are Panera Bread’s Broccoli and Cheddar soup and McAlister’s Loaded Potato soup. They are so good. This creamy soup takes the number 3 spot! It’s a twist on our childhood tomato soup. Add some yummy, crisp, and cheesy grilled cheese, and you’ve got a time-traveling meal ticket to Flavortown.
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp basil, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- 2 slices of cheese
- 4 slices of bread
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and flour and whisk to combine.
- Cook 1 more minute. Add broth and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer until about 10 minutes. Add the cream and Parmesan and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil and serve.
- For grilled cheese, preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Generously butter one side of a slice of bread.
- Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet and add 1 slice of cheese.
- Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread, butter and slice of cheese. Enjoy!