Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
An oldie but goodie. I introduced this to my family on a cold winter evening when we watched the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Saucy, simple, and gooey.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 12 small mozzarella cheese cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- non-stick spray
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Pulse onion, carrots, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped; 1-3 minutes.
- Mix ground turkey, egg, oats, mix from food processor and the remainder of ingredients (except cheese cubes) in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Portion medium balls with meat and add a mozzarella piece to the center. Roll into a ball and ensure cheese is covered by meat.
- Place 12 meatballs in muffin tin and top with sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked completely.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes before serving.