Shrimp & Grits
Comfort food, anyone? Every time we visit my hometown Sumter, SC, that next morning, my husband and I always have breakfast at our favorite spot called Baker’s Sweets. I always get the same thing every time; Shrimp and Grits. It’s so delicious and comes with a healthy portion of shrimp and sausage. One morning, I was trying to decide what to make for breakfast. I opened the freezer and saw a bag of frozen shrimp that we hadn’t cooked yet. Aha! That’s when I made my own version of Shrimp and Grits. I hope you like it.
- 6-10 frozen large deveined shrimp, cleaned and thawed
- 1 cup of grits
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp green onion, sliced
- Slice green onion and set aside.
- Cook grits per directions and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- In a cast iron skillet, add bacon and cook. Remove bacon from skillet and place on a paper towel to discard excess grease.
- Add shrimp to skillet using bacon grease for flavor.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix on shrimp. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes before turning.
- Sprinkle other sides of shrimp with seasoning mix and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Shrimp should turn bright orange.
- Once cooked, set shrimp aside.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, add 1/2 tsp olive oil.
- Crack and add 1 egg. Season as desired and flip once one side has cooked.
- Once egg is cooked on both sides, set aside.
- To assemble, add cooked grits to a medium bowl, add fried egg, add cooked shrimp, add crumbed bacon, and green onion. Enjoy!